Sunday 4 May 2014

We like Teva-likes


After the first "socking" revival of Birkis, we are now mature enough to enjoy the come back of another clumpy shoe -maybe a distant cousin of the clunky Birki- the Tevas (teh-vas not tee-vas).

These beloved velcro sandals, had their megamoment back in 90's. They were created in 1984 when a group of river guides, came up with a smarter solution for the easily sliding off flip-flops. Velcro -or hrich-hrach as I used to call them as a kid because of the sound obviously- came for the rescue and a trend was born.

There are two styles. The Originals, a flip-flop with a velcro ankle strap and the Original Universal, with a velcro strap across the toes and a second one around the ankle.

So if back in 90's you were among the lovers of Tevas, you should be thanking -otherwise blaming- Prada, who sent her models for the spring 2014 catwalk with colourblock sports sandals with gems. Also love or hate Balenciaga for the studded Arena sandals, Marni for the glittery velcro fussbetts and Marc Jacob for the black sequin-trimmed Teva-likes.

The original Teva also introduced an expanded range of fashion colors and patterns due to this "Tevastocking", explosion.

To be honest, initially, I was a hater because of all those connotations I had them associated with. Tourists wondering around Acropolis with their white-sock dressed Tevas, nans "rocking" them in the markets and little 10 year old boys getting the sand out of their "cabrios" at the beach. However, now I feel a bit swayed. After their glammed up appearance in the catwalk and the nostalgic feeling I have for my childhood, I am urged to try them on and find a great way to style them up. I have been there and done that before. Why not doing it again?

Tevas accomplished what Birkis didn't. They made me go for them!

PS. Not forgetting to mention, that I was always a bigger fan of the Teva-tan than the Birk-tan.

No comments:

Post a Comment